If you are caring for a child(ren) that is not your own because their parents are not able to look after them, you can obtain an order which gives you legal recognition and responsibility, and in some cases, practical and financial support that may be required.

A special guardianship order gives the special guardian parental responsibility for the child.  Subject to any other order made, the special guardian has “enhanced” parental responsibility which means (with certain exceptions) they can exercise their parental responsibility for the child, to the exclusion of all other persons with parental responsibility.  A special guardianship order therefore reflects the reality of the situation in respect of the child(ren), giving the special guardian clear responsibility for all the day to day decisions in relation to caring for the child.  Whilst the parents retain parental responsibility their ability to exercise it is limited.

The need for a Special Guardianship Order can arise in all sort of situations whether through an informal arrangement or social services involvement with children you are caring for. Whatever your circumstances, if you are or are planning to care for a child that is not your own, you should seek specialist advice. We offer an initial call with one of our representatives in order to assess whether we are able to assist you and to discuss anticipated fees for our services.

Want to talk? Our Family Law Clinics are held once a month and offer complimentary 20-minute appointments. Find out if you could benefit.

If you would like to speak to our expert legal team about this, or any related subject then please contact our team by phone on 0207 936 6329, Email or by completing our Quick Contact Form below.