The talk focussed on the subject 'Careers In The Law' and presented tips on how to achieve work within Law firms and the routes that can be chosen to achieve various positions such as Solicitors, Barristers and Chartered Legal Executives.
Getting Started In Law
Starting any new career can be a challenge.
Finding a way to get relevant experience and demonstrating your passion is key.
Some of Maria and Louise’s top tips included:
- Writing a professional CV with no spelling mistakes
- Gaining work experience in the legal profession – even pro bono or sitting in the public gallery
- Demonstrating an interest in extra- curricular activities
They also discussed the various routes students could take to becoming a lawyer.
Depending on the ultimate career goal, chosen paths might depend on many things like:
- whether you have financial support for your legal studies;
- whether you want to qualify quickly or don’t mind taking a slower route;
- or even if you wish to earn as you learn.
‘Delighted’ To Talk To Students
Maria and Louise were delighted to have been invited to talk and received wonderful feedback from the Brighton College Law Society:
"Thank you so much for your amazing presentation today. It was really informative, and everyone loved it as it gave us a more concrete understanding of the different ways to get into the law and also the idea of unpaid placements which I shall definitely be looking to find in the summer. A massive thank you on behalf of the law society for taking time out of your day to talk to us!"
Everyone at Monan Gozzett appreciates the value of educating and encouraging people into the profession. If other local colleges would be interested in a talk from our team, please do get in touch to discuss how we can benefit you.