'Can I appeal a police caution?' is a question we often get asked.

The immediate answer is 'Yes'.

People contact us and say, "I was told that if I admitted the offence, it would be quicker, and I wouldn’t have to go to court!"

However, it will only be after your release that you will realise that it could affect future travel plans or job applications due to checks carried out by your potential employer.

Caution Guidelines

The Police have very strict guidelines and governance that should be adhered to prior to a Caution being administered.

You must admit the offence wholly before a Caution is considered.

After this, if you are eligible for a Caution, the consequences of admitting it and accepting those consequences must be explained to you very carefully.

Often, these procedures are not adhered to adequately and can lead to a line of appeal.

You can appeal directly to the chief constable of the police force that dealt with the case or commence high court proceedings via a judicial review.

If you believe you should not have accepted a police caution and want to discuss your rights, please contact us on 0207 936 6329 or email info@monangozzett.com to discuss your options.

Do you have any questions about the subjects raised in this blog? Feel free to fill in the form below and we will do our best to reply to you:

If you would like to speak to our expert legal team about this, or any related subject then please contact our team by phone on 0207 936 6329, Email or by completing our Quick Contact Form below.